This is basically what the car part/oil filter adapter (thanks to everyone who helped me identify it!) looked like on Monday morning. Sadly, I'd put in at least two days worth of effort at this point. I'd experimented with and discarded several attempts at covering several of the sections. Figuring out how to skim some of the complex angles was really tricky, as was figuring out how to get my needle into some of the interior spaces. Even though I stitched many of the pieces off of the part, I still had to stitch them together on the piece. This often caused me considerable difficulty as pieces sometimes seemed to shrink, and other times to stretch as I tried to put them in place.
I managed to get this far before calling it a night last night. I worked until 10:30, and my eyes started blurring.
Today, I spent the morning in the flame working studio making more beads and trying to improve my techniques, and returned to the bead work this afternoon. And I'm pleased to say that I actually finished it up a little after 10pm this evening (with breaks for dinner and slides). But I don't have pictures of the finished project because I'd left my camera in the room. So you'll have to wait for that. But in the meantime, you can admire some of my process. :)