It's Saturday again, and I'm sitting here trying to think of what exactly I've accomplished this week. Despite running full tilt most of the week, I cannot honestly recall a single thing I've actually accomplished. Which makes it really hard to write a blog post.
Now I remember, it's been a maintenance sort of week, including rehanging the door to a refrigerator so it would seal correctly, adjusting a storm door's pistons, raking more leaves than one yard should truly have and replacing all of a toilet's inner parts (the toilet was clean; it just wouldn't stop running) amongst other things. The last is something that I'm pretty sure you're never supposed to mention on a blog; toilets being about as non-sexy a subject as I think you can get. But I have to say that I was as proud of that toilet when it actually flushed without leaking as any bead work I've completed in the past several years.
I had my fair share of mishaps - including a column of water hitting the ceiling at one point. Who knew toilets had so much water pressure? The instructions told me to take off a valve cap, hold a cup over the top to prevent splashing and turn the water on to clear the pipe of debris. I read it as 'set' a cup over the top, especially since I had to reach down and around to turn the shut-off valve. As soon as I turned on the water said plastic cup shot to the ceiling. Oops!
Turn the water back off, fast while trying not to panic and trying to stem the column of water with my other hand. Fast forward a little - the bathroom's mopped, I'm still soaked as are my instructions, but I've made it all the way to the last step. I put the valve cap back in place and prepared to turn the water on, cringing. Waters on. Nothing happened. Huh. Good on the one hand; no new fountains or leaks is generally a good thing. But bad because at this point, the tank was supposed to start filling. Nope, no water. Turn the water off, take the cap off, put it back on, turn the water on; still nothing.
Breaking down, I called the 1-800 number on the repair kit I purchased. I ended up speaking to an amazingly personable tech who 1) was impressed that I'd read the instructions, 2) never talked down to me like I was an imbecile for not being able to figure it out myself, 3) provided the solution and 4) was willing to stay on the line until we'd flushed the toilet several times, insuring it actually worked. Kudos to Fluidmaster - you have great employees! And I'm pleased to report that a day later, it still works!
In other news, I finished out Nanowrimo at 56,077 words, but my poor characters are still languishing in the final two thirds of the book. More early morning writing sessions for me. Just got back from the TGIO (thank goodness its over) party down at the Seattle Center happy to know I'm not the only one still writing. Though I've only written 1,000 words since November 30.
And for those of you who have made it this far, I promise that my next blog post will actually be about beads, beaders and other bead related subjects. Tomorrow is the NW Seedbeaders meeting and I've been tagged as responsible for photographing the challenge pieces and project ideas for next year. So I'll have lots of fun stuff to share very shortly.
And I still have several personal UFOs I need to finish before the new year as well. So I promise, no more weirdness for a while (at least I sure hope so!)
I made it this far. You were much more productive than I was at odd jobs this week. I just published a post about finding time to bead and blog and now I am finding other bloggers covering similar topics. *sigh* it is at least good to know I am not alone.ReplyDelete
You are most certainly not alone! Juggling all of the competing demands on our time is everyone's struggle. I figured I might as well share a laugh about it. :)ReplyDelete