They say it's almost impossible to proof your own work. I hate to admit it, but whomever 'they' are, I fear they're right. When rereading my work, I see what I expect, instead of what is actually there.
Thankfully, I roped several good friends and family into helping me proof what I thought was the final edit of my book. Their comments and corrections instigated a substantial reworking, including nine additional pages extending the last chapter.
However, in my rush to get the book to print the additions were denied an external proofing. And hence, I cringe every time I open the book to page 64, where instead of a brooch (a pin-on piece of jewelry) I have a broach. Little did I know I'd created a beaded tool used to cut, puncture or pierce - guess I was going for form over function. Sigh....
Createspace wouldn't be happy with me if I sent them an updated interior just to fix the spelling error. Guess I'll have to wait for my next edition.
Post a Comment